Saturday, March 12, 2011

Metal Sculpture

In Sculpture this semester I wanted to make a series of teapots and teacups out of scrap and found metal. But just like most of my ideas, it changed a little as I went along.. This first piece was supposed to be a faceted base with a teacup on top. As I continued to work on it, "the base" just took on a whole form and started becoming something more than just a "base", so I went with it. Just a few days before crit is usually when I decide to make drastic changes to my sculptures and I usually have to just walk away or I'll never stop changing it up. But this time I realized that the bottom part of the sculpture would completely visually out weigh the teacup on top, so I got rid of the cup and busted a hole in the top of the "base". I learned alot from this piece, like the importance of a good clean weld, and that measuring pieces to fit together is real hard. Paying attention to those things would have saved me alot of time!

2 comments: